If you are interested in requesting a grant from the foundation, the first thing you should do is review the focus areas listed below. If your request fits within one or more of these focus areas, refer to the application and grant review process to see the steps necessary to complete your application and the review process that follows.
Please note that the Gianforte Family Foundation only funds non-profit organizations that have a 501c3 tax filing status. You will be asked to provide your federal tax ID number on your application.
The foundation trustees meet every quarter throughout the year and consider grant requests at every meeting. Completed applications must be received by the due date in order to be considered at the following meeting. We strongly encourage you to submit your application well before the due date, in the event that we need to obtain more information prior to the review.
The due date for the next board meeting is January 31, 2018. Applications received by this date may expect a response in some form by the end of March.
Focus Areas Considered
The Gianforte Family Foundation’s objective is to be effective stewards of God’s resources. In doing this, the foundation focuses its giving primarily in the following areas.
- Jobs, Education, and Entrepreneurship
- Valuing Families and the Vulnerable
- Christian Outreach and Discipleship
- Bozeman Arts and Culture
If you are considering applying for a grant and the mission of your project or organization falls into one of these categories, you may apply online via the “Apply” menu above.
Application and Grant Review Process
Complete and submit an online application
You can do this via the “Apply” menu above or by clicking here. If you have never received a grant from the foundation you will need to create a login name and password. If you have previously received a grant from the foundation, you do not need to create a new profile. Please contact us for your login name and password. While filling out an application, you can save it as a draft at anytime and return to it later. Once submitted, the application cannot be edited without contacting us.
When you submit your application, it goes through an initial review to confirm all of the required information is complete. If any additional information is needed, we will contact you.
Applications are considered at the board of trustees meetings, which are held every quarter. The executive director may contact you prior to the meeting to obtain specific information deemed necessary to make an informed decision.
Most applications are decided upon during the board meeting where they are initially reviewed. In some cases, more information is needed to make a decision. Either way, you can expect a response to your application within six weeks of the submittal due date. We respond to each application request regardless of the decision.
All approved requests must reapply each year for funding. We do not automatically renew grants.
- Be clear and concise. The application’s area for explaining the project limits the number of characters you can use. If it is not possible for you to explain all the necessary details of the project in this text field, please contact us and other arrangements may be made. Every effort should be made to explain the project within the application’s fields.
- We generally accept one application per organization per year. If you have multiple requests, list them in the same application along with what funding is needed for each request. Please note your top-priority request if there are more than one in your application.
- Grant applications are accepted year-round and reviewed quarterly.
- You can save an application while you are working on it to return to it later. If you are uploading documents to your application, only the last document uploaded to each File Upload question will be saved with that question – you can not save multiple uploads to a single question.
- Submit your application well before the due date. We may require additional information following the initial review, and this is much easier to obtain when we have sufficient time to work with you in gathering it.
- When in doubt, ask! We welcome emails to assess if you should pursue an application with us, and what other information you might include. Contact us here.